Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Helping Out


Yesterday when we came home from church Savannah ran in the house and told us we couldn't come in because she was doing something special for us. She locked us out for about 10 minutes. When she returned she beckoned us in with her huge grin exclaiming "look!" She had set the table for dinner. In her excitedness she declared "I wanted to help you out mommy because you have so much to do! I wanted to set the table for you so you wouldn't have to do all of it by yourself."

On the table was this little pink construction paper heart that they had received in primary. She had about 6 of them. One for every day of the week, so they could do something nice for someone else, and leave a little love afterwards. I gave her a huge hug, thanked her for her help and for thinking of me. It was so fun to see her face a glow, bouncing with happiness and excitement that she had set the table all by herself for me. It was rewarding for me as well to know she had gone to church, learned about serving and helping others and actually internalized it enough that she came home and set my table for me. I love it when little things like this happen in your day. Times when you see your child grow up and have joy from serving others.

3 comments:

Launa said...

Isn't it awesome when our children demonstrate what we try so hard to teach them? I love those moments! And that heart is priceless!

Mandy said...

So sweet. Thanks for sharing the story.

Laurel said...

Oh my goodness, what a tender moment. Thank you for sharing that! :)