Monday, September 26, 2011

What I've Learned So Far

It's been over a month since starting our home school journey.   What have I been learning so far?
  • I don't have as much time to blog about it as I would like.
  • It has gone smoother than I anticipated.
  • What Savannah's teacher really meant when she had issues with her getting distracted.
  • How my children prefer to learn.
  • What character flaws we all need to be working on.
  • How nice it is to be able to change up the day when needed, rather than having to depend on the public school hours.
  • How much I need to eliminate in my life and home in order to keep life simpler. 
  • How much fun we can have together.
  • My weaknesses.
  • And these are just the beginning.

It has been going well so far.  Actually better than I thought it would. I am definitely learning on how to tweak things or how to swap things up when someone isn't in the mood to do anything for the day.  We also decided to start the girls with piano lessons this fall as well. Savannah is picking it up so fast, Mirian is struggling with it.  I don't want her to end up hating it because she has the artist soul. She's the one with the music already playing inside her. So her piano teacher and I have decided to go at her own pace. If that's only working on one song for the week, great.  That has helped her attitude adjust greatly.  Mirian has to do things differently.  Which is ok.  They are both unique. That's the beauty in it all and part of the reason I wanted to teach my children in the first place. To be able to work with those individual differences and hopefully help them become the who their Heavenly Father needs them to be, each with their unique missions.

No comments: