Saturday, October 01, 2011

Scripture Stories

A while back I was talking to a good friend of mine about trying to do family scripture study. I was trying to figure out a way to help our kids pay attention a little bit better and help them become more familiar with the scripture stories .  She told me that when they were little they drew pictures about the scriptures they were reading. They had started it with their children and it seemed to help. When they were finished they had their own small scripture book. I thought it sounded like a great idea and started it with ours. We aren't always consistent with having these, sometimes we end up just reading, but it does help when I take the time to do this.

I wanted them to draw a picture, but I also wanted to have something on the page to indicate where the story was in the scriptures and a little synopsis. I could also have them practice handwriting and tracing over the letters for school time as well.  I thought I'd share some of my favorites from the kids.

Here are some of Isaac's renditions of the the scripture stories.




Here a few of Savannah's renditions.




 Here are some of Mirian's.



I love the way Mirian tells stories. Here the girl was angry and wouldn't share her jump rope.  The other set of pictures is of them sharing and jump roping together.


This one from Mirian cracks me up.  It's the scriptures about not committing adultery.  I tried to explain in the terms of 3-8 year old understanding what adultery was.  I asked them if it's ok for someone that is married to go on a date with some other guy, or kiss some other guy. I asked them how that would make their husband feel, and if that was right.  Of course they said no. 


She she told me she drew a picture of me on a date with someone else, and dad all sad.  And then of course wrote NO! to me on the date. I'm not sure why I had to be the one not faithful.  




So far it's been working out really good. They can look at their pictures they've drawn and explain to me what the scriptures were about. They might not remember the whole chapter of details, but if they can remember small parts throughout the whole book I think that's a great start.  They're also collecting a good amount of pictures for their own finished book of scriptures stories.

3 comments:

Cherise Oleson said...

I love this idea and I love the artwork your children have created too!

Laurel said...

I love these! How did you do them, is there a font that is dashed? I'm curious, this would totally be something my kids would like to do. Great idea!

Fielding 5 said...

Did you print these pages somewhere or make them yourself? I would love to do this with my kids!