Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Beau’s Love

granola

His mother’s granola.  Ever since I’ve married him, he is always asking for granola. So being the dutiful wife, I found out from the mother in law how to make it.  The first batch I cooked too much, it tasted slightly burnt.  The second batch was pretty good… and I think that’s been the only two times I’ve made it in my 8 years of marriage. The other time we had it, Beau made it. (He had probably given up on me by then.)  I know it’s at the top of his favorite list. I know if I make it for him that it makes me at the top of his favorite list, and yet I always roll my eyes when he asks for it, and groan about how much work it is.

Today I thought I’d make some to see that smile on his face, and say “Hey, I do love you” and in the process was wondering why I have been complaining about it.  It really isn’t that bad to make. It’s easy. It takes some time to cook 5 pans of it since we do it in bulk, but it really isn’t so bad. I think I complain about it because it’s soo good, but not that healthy. It’s like 9 weight watcher points per cup w/out milk. Wow. I’m sure I could come up with a ‘healthier’ version but why.  It’s so good how it is. It just needs to be eaten in moderation.

I think I’ll make it more often. Why not. Especially when I know how much my husband enjoys it, how much he asks for it, and knowing that it will make his day to have a bowl.  What is it that thing that your husband loves, that he might have even been asking for?  Have you done it lately? If not… go for it! There’s nothing like today to do a little something to say… “hey, I love you.” 

If you do decide to do that little something and are willing to share I’d love to hear what you did for him!  Go ahead and post it in the comments. :)

Also… in case your tempted to make some up yourself here is Beau’s favorite Granola recipe.

Grandma Tippetts’ Granola

14 c. old fashioned oatmeal (not instant)
1 pkg. sunflower seeds
1 pkg. slivered almonds
1 pkg. coconut
1 cup wheat germ

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
1 cup oil

Mix all the dry ingredients in the first list together in a VERY large bowl. I use a large metal bowl that I let my bread rise in. (in the end it makes about 32 cups of granola.)

In a sauce pan mix the sugars, honey and oil and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.

Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly, trying to spread over as much of the granola as possible. Then in various batches spread out a layer on a large cookie sheet.  Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 325.  Stir it up to help coat the granola halfway through the bake time, and after you pull it out while it’s still hot. Let it cool, break apart and store in air tight containers.  You can then add raisins, craisins or other dried fruit to it at this point or when you are going to eat it.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I love homemade granola too Shalae!! :) One of Regan's favorite lunches is a 'yogurt parfait' - plain yogurt, a little bit of brown sugar, frozen berries and granola on top! You could do this for a bit more 'balanced' meal that still included the wonderful crunchiness of granola! (when I send it to school, I keep the granola separate, so it doesn't get soggy. Everything else goes into a thermos - frozen fruit melts by lunch but keeps the yogurt cold!)

Thanks for the reminder to focus on hubby too - always a good thing to be reminded of!

the Pozie said...

I just made some of my mom's granola last week because when I am hungry in the mornings, there is not a ceral box on the shelf that I like better--life is too short not to enjoy homemade granola daily.