Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Post Partum Thoughts

Postpartum Thoughts
There's something about postpartum that really starts to make you think about what your priorities are. If you're really giving your time to those things that matter most... these little ones.

We've have a good recovery, but as I've told Beau lately, someday I hope my emotions level out here and I'm back to normal. I tell him it's a no win situation sometimes. I'll tell him one thing, which I sincerely want him to do, but if he does it I'll cry. If he doesn't do it I'll feel bad he didn't do it and cry too. Either way he's out of luck. Poor guy. :) Luckily it hasn't been too bad yet. Just when I'm tired and exhausted it kicks in. Hmmm... seems like exhaustion and emotional breakdown are related. Luckily they aren't very often, it happens about once a day - Beau sends me off for a nap and I return feeling better.
But it makes me wonder if we have post partum for a reason. As women we go too fast, try to do too many things and are just too busy. It seems that during this post partum part of a new baby it has slowed me down, nursing slows me down. It makes me stop what I'm doing multiple times a day and I have time to sit and think, or read. It makes me realize how fast my kids are growing up. How I'm missing the little moments in life when I make myself too busy to enjoy small moments like the photos above. I realize they won't be this age forever and I want to soak it all in. I don't want to live with regrets of wishing I had spent more time with them and less time on my to do list. I realize how much love and attention they really want, need and deserve. I read some great quotes the other day...

“You pile up enough tomorrows, and you’ll find you’ve collected a lot of empty yesterdays.” Professor Harold Hill, in Meredith Wilson’s The Music Man,

"Each one of you is living a life filled with much to do. I plead with you not to let the important things in life pass you by, planning instead for that illusive and non-existent future day when you’ll have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now." President Thomas S. Monsen

"There is no tomorrow to remember if we don’t do something today." President Thomas S. Monsen.

We just need to slow down more and enjoy the journey now. Enjoy them. They won't be here forever...

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Great thoughts. I'm experiencing similar sentiments on this side of maternity, though maybe minus all the emotional shifts I have post-partum. But I think there is a reason that creating babies brings us back to all that is important. I think you're on to something! Enjoy your precious ones.