Tuesday, February 20, 2007

New Commitment

At church on Sunday we were talking about the importance of keeping a journal and what the prophets have told us about keeping a journal. Bishop asked us for the 2007 year to rededicate ourselves to keeping a journal. I used to be really good at keeping a journal, especially during my college years. I have 7-10 full journals that I've kept while growing up. Well once I moved to Vegas 6 years ago... well probablly even Cheyenne... I have done terrible. So I've recommitted myself to doing better. They mentioned a quote by Elder Andrew Jenson that I really liked:

"The keeping of a journal has a tendancy to keep both mind and body in the straight and narrow path. If we keep a journal we naturally desire to write something that will read well. We want to make a good record of ourselves. But in order to do so we must live a good and useful life, and thus by our actions produce materials for a clean and interesting record."

I think this is so true... who wants to sit down and write all the terrible things he has done. It instead makes me want to create more memories to record of my family. Ponder life and the scriptures more so I have something to write about. Be more aware of the blessings the Lord gives me, and to just be better.

I also decided that instead of the normal hardbound journal which I normally have written in, I wanted to do it in a blog. There is so many things that can be incorporated.. media, links, photos, and I can really speak my voice and share my thoughts. I also decided to create one for just our family... a daily record of us. That way we can keep up with all those little things that I'm forgetting to write down, and also to be able to let family keep in touch with what is going on in our lives. I'm excited about this project. I have a few friends that have blogs and I have really enjoyed learning from them and getting to know them better. I'm wanting to do that for myself now as well.

No comments: