Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Purpose Driven Life

I was chatting with a Christian friend of mine, who asked if I had read the book A Purpose Driven Life, written by Rick Warren, her pastor. I hadn't heard of it, but admire her for her desire to do what God would have her do, and enjoy talking about God with her. I found out the book was at my local library, and decided I wanted to read it because I wanted to understand more her background in her faith. I have to admit it was a bit harder to read at first as I am used to reading the King James Version of the Bible, rather than the new translations of the bible, but the book is a good book and one filled with truth. I can see why those that have not had any religious background and who are searching find this book amazing. As it does give the very basics of why we are here and what we are to do while we are here on this earth.

I always find it interesting to learn the background of other faiths, and what other religions believe, as all churches have truth. I also enjoy looking at what they know and believe, and comparing it against what I know to be true, to help me realize how grateful I am for a knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've really enjoyed reading this book. It's broken down into short chapters with some questions at the end to help you ponder about what was said and to ponder your purpose. As I have been reading through it, I've been comparing the references in the King James version as it is what I know and understand, and pondering their question in relation to my faith. So far I have not read one thing that I did not already believe or know. There are chapters which I feel don't cover the topic as indepth as I know it, but that as a whole the chapter is teaching an essential truth. It's definately a book worth reading.

No comments: